Research - About JBI
- IU Health Policies
- IU Health Grant Administration & Forms
- University Gateways
- About Grey Literature
- About Joanna Briggs Institute
- Alternative Lit Search & MeSH Headings
- Animal Research Links
- Getting Started & Skills
- Government Regulations, Policies & Training
- Nursing Research
- Research Support Topics
About the Joanna Briggs Institute
The Joanna Briggs Institute (JBI) is an international not-for-profit, research and development Centre within the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at the University of Adelaide, South Australia. JBI collaborates internationally with over 70 entities across the world, one of which is The Indiana Center for Evidence-Based nursing Practice (ICEBNP) located on the Purdue University Northwest College of Nursing. The Institute and its Collaborating Entities promote and support the synthesis, transfer and utilization of evidence through identifying feasible, appropriate, meaningful and effective healthcare practices to assist in the improvement of healthcare outcomes globally.
The IU Health Ovid JBI subscription provides tools for learning and conducting EBM Research plus an Evidence Based Database of documents. The database includes Best Practice Information Sheets, Evidence–Based Recommended Practices, Evidence Summaries, Systematic Reviews and Technical Documents. Topics covered in this database can be viewed below under JBI Best Practice & Reviews Content.
JBI Training from Ovid can be found at: http://www.ovid.com/site/support/training.jsp#tabs7
Joanna Briggs Institute Resources
- Critical Appraisal Check Lists: Downloadable check lists
- JBI Best Practice & Reviews Content: Acute Care | Aged Care | Burns Care | Cancer Care | Cardiovascular Care | Chronic Disease | Community Health | Diagnostic Imaging | Emergency and Trauma | General Medicine | Health Management & Assessment | Infection Control | Mental Health | Midwifery Care | Neonatal Care | Occupational Therapy | Pediatrics | Physical Therapy | Rehabilitation | Renal Care | Surgical Services | Tropical & Infectious Disease | Wound Healing & Management | Additional Material
- Joanna Briggs Institute (JBI) Book Series: These 24 titles provides the tools needed to: Understand the JBI model of evidence-based healthcare, appraise qualitative and quantitative research, appraise evidence from intervention and diagnostic accuracy studies and learn ways to minimize risks from adverse events. View Titles
Software & Tools for Conducting EBM Research
Appraisal & Implementation Tools
Journal Club - Create your own Journal Club and keep up to date with the latest research in a social and relaxed environment. Develop critical appraisal skills by accessing a simple checklist that outlines the steps to starting and maintaining a Journal Club, a range of eminent journals containing relevant, quality research articles and a critical appraisal tool to guide you through the process of assessing different kinds of literature for their quality.
JBI RAPID - Learn how to critically appraise individual research papers using a standardized checklist. This framework for critical appraisal of research uses established data collection tools and offers the possibility of publishing the appraisal in the form of a refereed report in the RAP Library. It helps users acquire the skills of posing relevant questions about research evidence to assess its quality.
JBI SUMARI - This comprehensive software suite has been developed to assist users on developing, conducting and reporting on systematic reviews of evidence related to the feasibility, appropriateness, meaningfulness and effectiveness of health care interventions or professional activities.
Point of Care Tools
JBI Manual Builder - Download a standard JBI evidence-based manual. Customize a manual by adding an organizational logo and choosing to include information that meets the needs of your organization.
JBI Pamphlet Builder - Download standardized JBI evidence-based pamphlets for patients and/or caregivers. Customize a pamphlet by adding your organizational logo, selecting a layout, adding photos and graphics and including information that meets the needs of your organization.
Quality Improvement Tools
JBI PACES - This comprehensive system consists of an online database for the collection of data on clinical activities based on the clinical audit process, a generic work plan related to getting research into practice and an online facility to compare results with the industry average.
JBI CAN-IMPLEMENT - This practical guide assists organizations in adapting existing guidelines to use within their institution or community. The resource provides recommendations for individual hospitals and communities and how to implement them into practice. It is useful for any guideline developer or adaptor.
JBI TAP - This tool utilizes a three-step process by extracting qualitative data (such as statements or text), categorizing these extractions on the basis of similarity in meaning and then organizing these categories thematically to form representations of the data. It is designed to assist researchers to conduct thematic analysis in small-scale studies.